Monday, March 1, 2010

Sweet Martini

Here's an issue with my note taking process: I usually write a few thoughts down only after my first few sips of a drink, leaving the tail end of my experience completely undocumented. I do so largely because I want to have a somewhat authentic experience and not create a Hawthorne Effect by observing myself to death. All of which is just a preamble to this: I remember actually enjoying my sweet martini, but all my notes are contrary to that notion. Hmm. I think I disliked the first few sips, but got into it by the end. I distinctly remember finishing this martini completely, which is something I don't usually do.

I want to stress that this is the sweet version of the classic martini and not some pseudo martini in the modern vernacular. I did make it dirty, but with less olive brine than before. I also had a sip of a friend's martini last week in New York, and I liked it. Maybe martinis just taste better there? They also seem to lead to being sick on the subway platform, so maybe I don't need to learn to like New York martinis (Note: I was not the sick one, just to be clear).

2 ounces vodka (or gin)
3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
-Stir over ice and strain into cocktail glass.

Well, as it goes my tastes seem to be developing if only I could remember drinks when it came time to order at the bar. Doing this blog has made me a target for drink questions, and I always draw a blank. 89 unique recipes since September and you'd think I could come up with something. Not so much.

Well, enjoy and bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment