Monday, October 19, 2009

Screwdriver

It's time for the freshman year classic: the screwdriver. I have to say that I was not terribly excited to make this drink. Things like the whiskey sour and the rum and coke are classic drinks that don't take a lot of thought, but I feel like the screwdriver, at least in my life, has been the no-bartending-skills drink of choice. It's in the book, so I made it anyway:

2 ounces vodka
orange juice
-Add vodka to iced rocks glass and fill with o.j.

In order to add an element of novelty for myself, I decided to make it with freshly squeezed orange juice. I made orange juice the other night as part of the mulled wine, so I thought that it might make the screwdriver a better drink as well. Unfortunately, the orange I used this time wasn't as good (same brand, valencia organic, just not well-chosen) so it wasn't nearly as flavorful. Too bad.

I should state for the record that there is nothing wrong with a screwdriver per se. It's just a little safe as drinks go. If you're in a situation where you're not looking to impress, just looking to not offend, making screwdrivers for people will generally get the job done.

Enjoy and bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment