Friday, January 22, 2010

Perfect Manhattan

I don't remember what I said about the original version of the manhattan (I could just look it up but this is my second post today and I really can't be assed), but I can't imagine it was a glowing review. Maybe if I had better whiskey I would be okay with this, but I'm just really not. It left a bad aftertaste in the back of my throat, and the during-taste wasn't so hot either. I know this is one of those classic manly drinks (see martini, old fashioned), but I guess I just not classic or manly.

I keep thinking that I'm going to make myself like these kinds of drinks in the same way it took a couple of times drinking coffee before I liked it (she says with a cup of coffee nestled snug in the lapels of her robe, using it to keep herself warm -- see pocket cup). I just don't know that it's going to happen, unfortunately.

1 1/2 ounce blended whiskey
1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
1/4 ounce dry vermouth
dash of bitters
-Stir with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass or on the rocks.

I'm dragging a little bit on this project because all the drinks I can make with my current ingredients sound either a) terrible or b) like a less exciting version of something I've already had. Oh well. Hopefully I'll be able to afford something new soon.

Until then, enjoy and bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment