Monday, September 7, 2009

Silk Panties/Cuba Libre/Rum & Coke

Okay, I didn't drink all three of these in one night...I just forgot to post about my experience last night, which was particularly special.

Silk Panties-

1 1/2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce peach schnapps
-Mix with ice and pour into shot glass.

Well, I don't actually own a shot glass so I just had to use the regular glass I had available. I really doubt the proper glassware would have made this any better though: it was the worst so far. I'm not really that into shots, but SoCo and Lime is okayish. This burned my throat and lungs, which is not the alcohol experience that I'm personally looking for. Worst of all, it was definitely more than one shot's worth, so after I took one painful gulp, I had to go back for seconds. Just please, don't do this to yourself.

Now we go from the worst to some of the best!

Cuba Libre-

2 ounces light rum
Juice and fruit of 1/2 lime
Cola
-Squeeze lime and throw into chilled glass with ice. Add rum, then fill with cola.

Rum and Coke-

1 1/2 ounces rum
Cola
-Add rum to iced glass. Fill with cola and garnish with lime.

Both these drinks were pretty ballin', let me tell you. These were the first that actually tasted better when I made them than when I ordered them at a bar, which is quite the accomplishment I think.

Some info: I bought some pretty basic Bacardi rum...it was clear so I was pretty sure it was "light" rum. I didn't really see anything labeled as light rum, but I mostly just assumed anything that wasn't marked as "dark" must be light. Dark rum has more molasses in it, so it's sweeter, whereas light rum has a drier taste. I can tell you more about the different experiences when I get to some drinks with dark rum.

Also, you'll notice that these two drinks both include lime, so what's the big difference? Well, truthfully, they weren't that different. However, when a recipe calls for a "squeeze" or a "garnish" of lime (or lemon) that generally means 1/8 of said fruit. To do this properly, one cuts of the ends of the fruit and cuts into parts. The bartender should not do the squeeze herself but should cut a slice through the section and stick the lemon/lime on the rim to let the drinker do it him/herself. Therefore, the difference between 1/8 and 1/2 a lime is certainly discernable, even to my novice tongue.

Aside from all these technical details, I will tell you that I was not drinking alone tonight! Well, nobody else drank alcohol, but I was in the presence of other people while I was drinking. Betsy, my lovely roommate, and I hosted a game night in our apartment. Sure, it was just the two of us plus Ben and Eleanor, but we had an absolutely splendid time. There were snacks (including some failed chocolate chip cookies) and two new games! We played "In a Pickle", which none of us had ever played before, and we read the instructions incorrectly. We ended up playing the game completely wrong but still having fun. We also played "Oodles of Doodles": a Pictionary-esque game, but easier. This was an event that is sure to be repeated.

Hope everyone had a nice Labor Day Weekend! Bottoms up!

2 comments:

  1. I said I wasn't into shots, not dessert ;-) Sounds delicious!

    How are you dear?

    ReplyDelete