Monday, September 7, 2009

Flirtini/Vodka Gimlet

really wish I could be bothered to make an accurate count of how many recipes are in my book so I could do a countdown, but let's just say that I did #3 & #4 out of about 150 tonight. Here they are-

Pineapple Flirtini:

1.5 ounces vodka
1.5 ounces champagne
Dash of pineapple juice

-Stir gently over cracked ice and strain into chilled glass.

I think I may have put a little more than a "dash" of pineapple juice because that's all I could taste. It was delicious, but I'm getting to the point in my cocktail drinking where I actually want to taste something other than the mixer. Mostly, I would put a little more champagne in, a little less pineapple and vodka. I couldn't really taste the carbonation. Better than the fuzzy/hairy navels though, but I think that's due to the quality of the ingredients this time. I used Absolut vodka, Cristalino champagne, and RW Knudson pineapple juice. For this recipe, I don't think the vodka quality is that important though.

Vodka Gimlet:

2 1/4 ounces Vodka (you can substitute gin for vodka to make a more traditional gin gimlet - but I don't like gin, so I didn't)
3/4 ounce Rose's Lime Juice

-Stir gently over cracked ice. Strain into chilled glass.

Anybody whose been to John Henry's with me probably knows that this is my drink of choice, but this was the first time I had made it for myself. This is a drink where a quality vodka makes a difference, so I'm glad I had one ;-) Market of Choice didn't have Rose's lime juice though, so I had to get a different one. It was fine, but more tart than usual...I think Rose's probably has more sugar and I should compensate for that next time. Also, DON'T DRINK THIS WHILE EATING RAMEN NOODLES!! It will bring out the taste of the vodka too much and taste terrible. Pre or Post ramen is fine.

I drank these while watching Paris, Je t'aime, which was far superior to Donnie Darko, which I watched earlier today and has to be one of the worst cult classics I've ever seen. Paris, Je t'aime was enjoyable but made me cry a couple times. I'm just hoping that isn't a sign that I'm turning into a weepy drunk.

While I'm reviewing things, I might a well say that I finished The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon yesterday. It's only 152 pages long, but it took me the entire month of August to read because it was so crazy and convoluted (I was also reading another book at the same so that didn't help). I wouldn't put this book on the top of my reading list if I were you: it's kind of like a less inspiring version of a Tom Robbins novel.

Okay, that's it. Enjoy and bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment