Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Espresso Martini


I vote that this drink needs to move to the dessert drinks chapter because it was just a cup of delicious. I didn't really get much coffee flavor, just chocolate. Boozy chocolate delicious.

1 1/2 ounce vodka
1/2 Créme de Cacao
-Stir with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

I'm really starting to have a beef with the modernization of the martini, and it's not because I have any kind of fondness for the original. How does the espresso "martini" resemble the classic drink? It's served in the same glassware. Well yes, but so is the sidecar and that's not in the martini chapter. Maybe because it has vodka? There are plenty of drinks that have vodka and are not martinis. Is it the stirring instead of shaking? Nope, you stir old fashioneds and manhattans as well.

I move that it should not be a martini unless it is served in a cocktail glass, contains BOTH gin/vodka and vermouth, and is stirred. The name martini should denote something about the flavor profile, and in it's modern usage it doesn't. When I'm ordering a cocktail, I want the name to tell me something about how it's going to taste, not how it's prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment