Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sangria

Sangria is such a memory drink for me. It was one of the first things I ever drank out: I went with my roommate freshman year to Little Italy for dinner. We had heard that they didn't really card at those restaurants, so we should be fine to order wine, but throughout the meal neither of us could quite get up the courage to ask for fear of being embarrassed. We kept going back and forth, should we or shouldn't we, when finally the waiter comes and gives us each a glass of sangria for free without asking for ID. It worked out, but how chicken were we?

But more than anything, I associate sangria with Sam & Lesley and Mexican restaurants. Sangria is a Spanish drink, but they serve it by the pitcher in quite a few New York Mexican restaurants and nothing goes better with anything than chips and salsa. I just think of walking around Gramercy in the spring of senior year looking for a spot to get sangria after seeing the cinematic masterpiece that is "Confessions of a Shopaholic." Being cut off by the waiter (in chips and salsa that is). Wine hangovers in the morning. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for the city these days and this is the perfect drink to bring it out.

Here's to making more (hazy) memories this summer with sangria by my side:

1 bottle full-bodied red wine
2 ounces brandy
2 ounces simple syrup
sliced fruit
1 cup soda water/ginger ale/lemon-lime
-Stir ingredients in a pitcher with ice cubes and add soda just before serving (so it doesn't go flat).

Enjoy and bottoms up!

3 comments:

  1. i love this. let's make more sangria memories soon! priority one when you make your way east. btdubs i have a sangria recipe that'll blow this out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. don't forget about quantum solace! another fine example of the beauty of sangria...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lesley Haha, I love that you actually got me to check my own blog! Re: Quantum of Solace, I wasn't drinking sangria that night ;-) And I'm sure your recipe is better than this one. I've made better than this particular one before.

    ReplyDelete